Monday 8 October 2012

Aussie Vehicle Icon – Ute


“Ute” is female name in Germany; but here, in Australia is the utility vehicle. You would find Ute is very popular car here; it is not only used as for work, but also for family using as well. Ever I was driving a Ute for 5 months while I lived in QLD, it was so handy, especially, I just moved back to Australia. Moreover, we have a boat, so carrying a tiny could be a hassle. But with a Ute, life becomes much easier. For some reasons, I find Ute implies some Aussies’ life-style and attitude; it’s practical and substantial oriented without being vanity. 
Ford Australian was the first company to produce a coupe utility. The story sounds like an urban legend: In 1932, a Gippsland farmer’s wife sent Ford a request for a revolutionary new car design: “Why don’t you build people like us a vehicle to go to church in on a Sunday, and which can carry our pigs to market on Mondays?” she asked. The job of designing a car of this versatility fell on the shoulders of 22 year old engineer Lewis Bandt, and two years later, the first Ford ute was released.

The original ute had a wheel base of 112 inches, a five foot five inch tray that could carry 1200 pounds (550kg). The car went on to become a huge success, and was exported to the US and dubbed ‘kangaroo chasers’.

Sadly, Bandt’s invention was also part of his final moments as he was killed in a collision with a sand truck. He was driving a vintage 1934 Ford Ute he had rebuilt for himself. Fortunately, Bandt’s legacy lives on with utes owned and operated by tradespeople and farmers all around the world.
(More information to heck:http://www.abc.net.au/dimensions/dimensions_future/Transcripts/s779287.htm)



Mr. Lewis Bandt 
Like other vehicles, Ute also could be good looking as well. It’s not particular for male driver, it’s could be very sexy for girls. I also find Aussies have special feeling about their Utes, there are ever specific Ute racing every year.



5 comments:

  1. Hi Annie,

    Awesome post! You have touched on a very powerful Aussie icon - the ute
    I love utes! You are right they are incredibly versatile and practical and great for the country and city.

    Your research about the background and origin for the ute was good, the things you learn from reading blogs!

    cheers, sky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments, Sky. Yes, I also learnt a lot by having this blog. It allows me insight into those Aussie icons I only knew before. -- Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello again,

    Having a property development background I have found utes to be quite useful to borrow whenever we needed to move stuff at home, but I am definitely not a fan of driving it everyday, it's hard enough with my shaggin' wagon ;) In saying that, I did get a MINI as my quarter life crisis car so probably not the best person if assessing big cars! What car do you drive now Annie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to have your comment here again, Margau.

    I agree it's quite useful to move stuff but not necessary need to own one. While I lived in Cairns, the ute I drove was from my ex-father-in-law. I still remember i superised my colleague I came out the ute; he was say"do you think if it is too big car for you, annie". I guess he was right. So I just got my previous car 2 weeks ago -- a sexy german BOXTER; but I got black color this time, it ever looks better compare my old silver one.

    Xoxo,

    annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boxter!!!! sexy…………………………convertible? or hard roof?

      Nice Blog, althoug still dont like ute. If I have to take similar one, i will choose pick up, big size and easy to carry big stuff. But like its power, especially the v8 engine, its is truly sexy!

      Delete